Saturday, June 7, 2008

Race for the Animals 10K-Wheaton

Today I ran my first 10K (6.2 miles). The route went through the streets of Wheaton--beginning on Main Street and winding through neighborhoods, around Northside Park and finishing near Memorial Park. It began at 7:30 a.m. and it was already pretty steamy outside. The humidity was high, so I was pretty heated. Luckily, lots of people turned their sprinklers on and pointed them towards the street so the runners could cool off. It felt great!

Overall, I was very please with my time. My official chip time was 58:35 which equates to an average of 9.26 minutes/mile. If you recall, I ran the 8K (4.97 miles) at the end of March and my official chip time was 48:21 which equates to an average of 9.42 minutes/mile. So, not only did I run farther, but I also improved my time. For me, this = success!

Here are my splits:

Mile 1: 8.56
Mile 2: 9.18
Mile 3: 9.07
Mile 4: 9.45
Mile 5: 9.32
Mile 6:9.55
Last .2: 2.0

Just think, in October I get to run a 10K plus 20 more miles! I'm glad I have lots of days to train between now and then!

1 comment:

Jeff said...

VERY GOOD TIMES! Impressive J-Ha. Keep it up!

I feel I'm allowed to crack the whip since we're financially invested in your marathon plan.

Now, get back out there! No pain, no gain sista.