Sunday, June 8, 2008

One Year in Wheaton

Today marks our one year anniversary of moving to Wheaton. I can't believe how quickly the time passed. Most of you have been keeping up with our journey through the wonders of the internet, but I felt it important to commemorate the moment anyway.



Our pastor recently spoke about change and how it is very difficult. It's not the external part of change that's hard because change just happens....we moved and that changed things. It's the transition that gets us....once we moved we had to adapt. We moved from the familiar into the unfamiliar and that stirs something in us that makes us sentimental and sometimes scared of the unknown.



Pastor Bugh reminded us that when the Israelites were freed from the bondage that they were under in Egypt, a lot of them wanted to go back, for the fear of the unknown was scarier to them than living in Egypt as slaves. I applied this to my own life and can say that I look back on our move with no regrets. Do I miss Dallas? Of course! Do I miss my friends, family, church, kid's school, the soccer community, neighbors, etc, etc? Absolutely! But this is the nature of change.



More than ever, I realize that God's presence in our lives gave us the ability to stand tall, make arrangements to sell our home, move our children, and for my husband to step-up and accept a much more difficult and challenging role at work with grace. What if we had backed down like the Israelites? What if we had looked backwards instead of forwards? What if we refused to trust God and accept his blessings? I shutter to think of the possibilities. Maybe it would have taken us 40 years to feel at home in Wheaton instead of just a few days.



My point is, no matter what you're faced with, look for God's direction. He will not lead you astray. I am confident that our lives are complete, no matter where we are, when we are walking with God. And I'm thankful for the changes that moving to Wheaton have brought to all of our lives. We have all grown as a result of it.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

This feels like a sermon. And it's a good one.

You are wise beyond your years friend. (although you're no spring chicken either, so I'd expect ya to know SOMETHING useful.) ;-)