Sunday, December 23, 2007

The Windy City

Most know that Chicago is nicknamed "The Windy City." I hadn't given that much thought until I learned we were moving here.

I hate the wind. And that's an understatement. Johnny hates the wind, too. Aside from it pollinating things, I think we could all do without wind.

In my opinion, TEXAS is very windy. I remember a time when I was in about 7th grade. It was spring so it was just beginning to get warm. I liked to ride my bike all around Dalhart. But this particular spring it was windy EVERY day. And I don't mean just a little windy. Ridiculously windy! Blow you off your bike or into oncoming traffic windy. And have you ever experienced wind in West Texas? It brings all the loose dirt with it (and there's A LOT), and when that hits you in the bare legs (face, arm, whatever) it's like thousands of tiny pins puncturing your skin. I assure you this is unpleasant. So for days on end I longed to ride my bike and couldn't. I guess it permanently scarred me, because it's something I haven't forgotten.

I think the wind situation was better upon moving to the Dallas area. There are a few trees to block the wind and the dirt isn't as plentiful. However, if the temp drops into the 70's, it generally brings the wind with it. Johnny has suggested that this is like a warm blow-dryer in your face. I have to agree. And once the wind stops in Dallas, the temps climb so high that it's out of control.

So imagine my IMMENSE FEAR when I was told we were moving to Chicago! Yikes!! The windy city! BUT, it's appears that I made the same mistake that most folks do. While there IS some wind in Chicago, that's not why it's nicknamed The Windy City. Chicago earned this nickname, it seems, because the POLITICIANS (both locals and those who visit for conventions) are "blowhards" or "longwinded" (ie: they talk too much). It has also been used to reference citizens of Chicago who brag about their city.

We've been here now for a little over 7 months. I can remember TWO windy days, today being one of them (the other took out about half the trees in Wheaton). Not that there hasn't been a breeze on occasion, but I am accustomed to TEXAS wind. I think the wind is probably less in Wheaton, too, than Chicago proper. Wheaton is surrounded by forest preserves which helps immensely in curbing the wind.

So drop me into a city with LESS wind, people that talk too much, and citizens who brag about their great city? Well, no wonder I fit in so well!

1 comment:

Jeff said...

"Chicago earned this nickname, it seems, because the POLITICIANS are "blowhards" or "longwinded"."

Ok, I did not know that.


"So drop me into a city with LESS wind, people that talk too much, and citizens who brag about their great city? Well, no wonder I fit in so well!"

You brag about your city? Really, I hadn't noticed. wierd since there are dozens of posts already up and about a half dozen categories devoted to Wheaton on this blog. Maybe you should talk more about it, Wheaton.

Actually, the comment about the dirt blowing on your skin and feeling like little pin pricks reminded me of growing up in small town Oklahoma. I know exactly what you're talking about on that one.