Sunday, December 21, 2008

Dangers of the Ice and Snow

You've probably noticed that I haven't been blogging lately. It's either because I haven't found much blog-worthy or I've been too busy to notice stuff that should go on the blog. At any rate, something blog-worth DID happen today and I have time to post it! And you'll be thrilled to know that it's about my very most FAVORITE topic-----the weather!


I should've known that it was going to be a bad day. When you wake up and the temperature gauge says -9 degrees nothing good can come from it. We had no business being out of the house, but of course we had to go to Grayson's first indoor soccer game of the season. We all loaded up in the van and were on the highway when all of a sudden there was a loud CRASH, a hard SMACK and I was cold and wet.





And there you have it. A very large sheet of ice came off of the roof of the van in front of us and went right through our windshield (and notice the lovely dents in the roof). At first I was just shocked at the ability of snow from a car to smash through our windshield, but we quickly assessed that no one was hurt and were so thankful that the ice hit where it did. A few inches to the left and it would have hit Johnny, and few inches to the right and it would have hit me. A few inches lower and it could've blown the whole windshield. I am feeling God's protection at this very moment!

The inside of our van is covered with ice and glass. Although a lot of the windshield remained in-tact, lots of tiny pieces of glass adhered to the ice particles from the snow ball and are now littered all throughout our van. You can't touch one without the other.



We were close enough to Gray's game that we continued our journey. The front desk provided us with a roll of duct tape, and it did the trick. (Is there NOTHING that duct tape can't fix?) Needless to say, it was a very chilly ride home, but we made it. The car is still a mess....who wants to vacuum up icy glass chips when it's still below zero? None of us. We headed for the fireplace to thaw out. I think we'll just stay home until it warms up to double digits. The high today was supposed to be 5, but I don't think it made it. Tomorrow will be better. It's supposed to get up to 9....positive 9....18 degrees warmer than today. Yippee.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how scary for all of you. I am glad noone was hurt. Will you show some pictures of your Thanksgiving and your Christmas decorations? I would love to see some Christmas Spirit.

Aunt Doris

Bling said...

Glad everyone is ok! Maybe it's time to take a trip to a warmer climate?

Jeff said...

Wow! That is scary. One moment, you're driving down the road. The next, you're half human, half popsicle. Way to go John on avoiding going halves on that.