Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving

What a special FIRST THANKSGIVING in Wheaton! Here's a little bit about our awesome day:

Since this was our first Thanksgiving away from Dallas, I had to grow up and cook Thanksgiving dinner! In the past it was always prepared by Amber, Andrea, Karri, or my mom. I, of course, contributed the normal side dishes and appetizers, but I have NEVER been responsible for the BIRD or the ENTIRE meal. I cooked for many, many days, and although my feet were tired and my back hurt a bit, I made a SUPERB (if I do say so myself) meal. And I only needed to call my mom 14 times in the process!
Here I am on Thanksgiving morning putting TOM in the oven. Thanks to Rachel Ray and her Maple-Glazed Roast Turkey with Apple Cider Gravy recipe, my first attempt at turkey cooking was a success!

Above and below: the elves showed up early! Although I was responsible for the cooking, I had a few helpers! Halle washed dishes, and Johnny's mom made her famous mac-n-cheese.


TA-DAH! Looks good enough to eat! Johnny's mom said of my turkey, and I quote, "that was the absolute BEST turkey I've ever had."

This was a very interesting dish. I'm normally a bread stuffing girl (aka Stouffers), but this recipe (another from Rachel Ray) sounded so yummy I had to try it. The dish is called Toasted Cornbread, Bacon and Chestnut stuffing. I think it's sort of a blend of stuffing/dressing--a cornbread base, but it toasted up nice a crisp. Very, very good. I think my guests were impressed.

Here is everyone at the table all ready for a great meal. I am so thankful for the family that came to spend Thanksgiving with us. Our new home is a reflection of the love within.


I had to share Parker and his consumption of the turkey legs! For a moment I thought I was at a Renaissance Festival.....but no, it was just Parker! He LOVES the dark meat! Have at it, buddy!

Thanksgiving Menu:

Maple-Glazed Turkey

Apple Cider Gravy

Toasted Cornbread, Bacon and Chestnut Stuffing

Famous Homemade Macaroni and Cheese

Southern Green Beans

Sweet Potato Souffle

Dinner Rolls

Pumpkin Pie

Homemade Banana Cake (for Chatlie's birthday)

Yumm-O! We sincerely wish you had been here!

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Two comments on this one...

1. Famous Homemade Macaroni & Cheese? You have my attention. I've been looking for a good homemade macaroni & cheese recipe for a long time. And there you are with such a recipe, and a Famous one at that! Is your like the kind you get at Luby's or Furr's Cafeteria? That's what I want. If so, send me that recipe STAT!

2. J-Ha, your hotness has taken a bit of a hit. What is going on with those pajama pants? at least i think they're pajama pants. I think they're made from the same fabric as that high chair cover you gave us that I, as you know, carry so proudly in and out of restaraunts.

Perhaps I've made these comments in the wrong order... go reread 1 now so we can end on a high. :-)