Friday, September 14, 2007

The Awesome Power of God

*If you are new to reading the blog, please read my entry on "So what the Heck is a Sump Pump anyway," before you read this one. You will find it under the label "Weather."
I told you that the storm that blew through here was huge. My best description is that it was an AWESOME DISPLAY OF GOD'S POWER AND MIGHT!
Psalm 135:6-7
The LORD does whatever pleases him, in the heavens and on the earth, in the seas and all their depths. He makes clouds rise from the ends of the earth; he sends lightning with the rain and brings out the wind from his storehouses.
And open his storehouses he did. I'm guessing he got a lot of people's attention. Giant trees were thrown around like twigs. Here is the proof....


This is a normal sight in many yards across Wheaton. Once enormous trees, thriving and providing shade, reduced to firewood.....or just scalped.
So I've asked myself several times, why? Why would God do this? And the answers I always come back to? 1) God can do whatever he wants and he doesn't need to answer to me. 2) I have no reason to question the awesome power of God as he is all-knowing, all-seeing, and he clearly knows a lot more than I do.
Isaiah 55:8-9
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways" declares the Lord. As the Heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.
Isn't that cool?

1 comment:

Jenny said...

"Why?" This is certainly a challenging component of faith to grasp sometimes. But perhaps I will gain an ounce of understanding once Naomi enters the "Why" phase and I resign myself to giving the standard, beaten-down parent answer: "Because I said so". Then maybe I'll get a glimpse of what God, our Father, deals with!