Friday, May 30, 2008

Running/Training Update

Many of you have asked how my running and training is working out so I thought I'd write a brief update.

My hip feels a lot better although it's not totally pain free. I don't know that the pain will completely heal until I turn in my running shoes, and since I'm not quite ready to do that, I have to deal with a little inconvenience.

Here's what I'm doing to manage the issue:

1) I got a new pair of running shoes. To my dismay, the Nike shoe that houses the Nike Plus gadget didn't work well with my foot-type (did you know that you have a foot-type?), so I am in another pair of Saucony's. They seem to work well with my foot and they feel great.

2) I went to the Physical Therapist 4 times and he taught me some pilates exercises to strengthen my hip and my core. He also did something called phonophoresis. Basically they apply a topical medicinal cream and use an ultrasound machine to push it into my muscle.

3) I started using my Mannatech supplements much more rigorously--specifically using the product FIRM. It is a cream that is used topically. I have been massaging that into my sore hip.

4) Before I run, I use IB relief cream on my hip. It gives me a "shot" of ibuprofen locally to the sore spot. This has alleviated a lot of the pain I feel while running.

5) Team in Training has proved very helpful in training for this marathon! I learned some great stretches for my hip, and with their encouragement, they are helping me keep my spirits up and confident that I can complete this race! They have also taught me the importance of high turn-over. This strategy teaches you to run with quick steps vs. a long stride. This is very helpful when you have a sore hip.

So I am well on my way! I look forward to running everyday. When I see other people running around town I always want to be running as well. I guess that's good since I will be logging some serious mileage between now and October 19!

I am running a 10K on June 7 here in Wheaton. I think that will be a fun run! I am also considering running the Chicago Distance Classic Half Marathon in August as part of my training. But, since I am running for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, another race means more funds to raise. The money raised goes to a great cause and is tax-deductible, so if you haven't already made a contribution to my running efforts, please take a moment to do so! Look on the sidebar to the right for a link to my donation page.

Thanks so much for your support!

1 comment:

Jeff said...

It never fails... new shoes and a massage always make a girl feel better.