Saturday, April 5, 2008

Signs of Maturity

Parker came in today from playing at his friend, Andrew's house. It was about 5:45. Andrew's mom was taking him to see a movie and invited Parker and Grayson to go along. Parker asked me if they could go. I told them yes.

The next thing that happened shocked me! Parker said, "I'm going to take a quick shower before the movie since I was playing outside." What?!?! He was going to take a VOLUNTARY shower? Right now with only 15 minutes to spare before leaving for the movie?

Huh. I sat at the table and pondered this for a minute. My mind flashed forward to Parker showering and heading out to spend the evening with friends. Maybe even driving himself there. I realized that the time is coming...and it may be sooner than I am ready.

See, I have always had little kids. My three older siblings all have GROWN kids, but not me. Mine are little. But today's events made me take a long, hard look at my little kids. I thought back to my trip to Target today and about the band-aids I bought for my accident-prone Halle. They were of the High School Musical and Hannah Montanna variety and no longer Barbie and Hello Kitty. And Grayson's shirts just slip right off of those small kid hangers. I think most of them have been replaced with the adult-size.

There's no question. They are all three doing what kids are supposed to do....GROW. I guess that's what I want them to do.....maybe just not so fast.

3 comments:

The Ling Blings said...

Everyday I have a conversation with myself to try to convince myself that Katie really isn't as old as she is and that she certainly doesn't look as old as she does. So far....the truth is prevailing and not my crazy talk to myself!! It does go by so quickly. I can remember taking you to see Halle in the NICU like it was just yesterday.

Jeff said...

So what you're saying is that Parker thinks the rest of you need to shower more? Oh no. He's prolly embarassed when his friends come over and they're all "Dude, your house has a certain smell to it." And he's all "What? What kind of smell." And they're all "It's not a bad smell, just a smell. It's just your family I guess." And he's all "Dude, I am so not going to go around with a smell. Gimmie 15 minutes. I'm gonna grab a quick shower before we hit it."

Judi said...

Grandma reads it and says "Oh no! He wants to smell good for little girls he might encounter." Talk about growing up!! WOW!!! Mom