Monday, August 27, 2007

Are we traitors?

I have to admit. As I sat at the Chicago Fire game cheering for Chicago, I felt like a traitor. FC Dallas is my team. And now I root for someone else? Even though the match was against Kansas City, it felt wrong. Seriously, when I jumped out of my seat clapping for the first goal scored, I looked over at Johnny and said, "this is not right!"

Maybe over time I will get used to it. After all, our boys both play for the Chicago Fire Jrs. program now, so we are expected to be all about the FIRE. But, deep down, I'll always be all about Dallas. I guess you can take the girl out of Texas but you can't take Texas out of the girl. I mean, I wasn't just messing around....I lived in Texas for THIRTY-ONE years. It's strange to be in Illinois after all that time.

But, as I've said all along, I will embrace what the Lord gives us. But I don't have to turn my back on my team. I will go to the Fire games and enjoy the atmosphere and the soccer, and I will even cheer for them, but they have not replaced my HOOPS! And the day they play each other? I might just stay home.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

See, here's my dilemma about mixing The Lord and sporting events... before the game, each team prays for a victory right? But only one wins. Is it the one with the most devout players? Or does The Lord actually have a rooting interest in the game? Maybe he's from the Chicago area?

As for you J-Ha, I wouldn't worry about who to root for. NOBODY WATCHES SOCCER ANYWAY so there's plenty of room to root for both Chicago and Dallas.

;-D