Monday, October 20, 2008

The Marathon

Autumn, Janda and I--contemplating the map of the course on October 18. Wow! That's a lot of miles!

On October 20 we stood in front of the same map VICTORIOUS!




Can you say 26.2 AND bust? Bust is what Autumn and I did to our knees as we both ran on injured IT bands. Stinkin' IT bands. You can't run with 'em and you can't run without 'em! After the marathon we were reduced to not moving and icing! It is weird that just hours before we were on our feet running a marathon and by that evening we couldn't have even run around the block!

All in all the marathon was a success. Since I entered the race injured, my goal was to finish. I am happy to report that I achieved my goal. Unfortunately the competitor in me wants a re-do because I'm not happy with my time. In August, uninjured, I ran a 2:06 half-marathon. My time for the full marathon was over 6 hours! I don't know how we endured SIX hours out there, but we did it! But I would love to run the same course healthy and see how I could do.
If I can get my IT bands to cooperate, I think I might run Chicago in 2009 and attempt to beat my pitiful PR (personal record) in 2010. That shouldn't be too hard! And to think I thought that I'd run only ONE marathon......





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wonder if you can be anymore self centered?

Wheaton Harris 5 said...

Dear Anonymous You,

Thanks for your comment. I always appreciate the feedback - nice to know that someone is reading the blog! :-)

I am confused though. This blog is written by me and me only. So by its very nature, it is about me, my family and my take on things. It's not meant to be self promoting but rather a way to keep those interested up to date on what we're up to. Some people are interested, particularly in the marathon since there were many supporters, while others, like you, may not be. There are varying perspectives. Maybe you didn't understand that when you left your comment?

If I'm way off base on the above, please feel free to contact me again to clarify what you mean. However, please identify yourself if you'd like a response - anonymous comments, especially critical ones, are taken with a grain of salt. (I mean really, would YOU put a lot of stock in the opinion of someone who doesn't even stand by that opinion???)