Tuesday, July 22, 2008

12 Miles

Just in case anyone is wondering, it's hard to run 12 miles. I did this on Saturday for the first time and completed it in just under 2 hours. After the marathon, I don't think I will be doing many long runs beyond 10 miles.

So what hurts? Both of my quads, my left knee and the toenail on my second toe on my left foot. I guess that's not bad considering. And did you notice that I DIDN'T say right hip? Great, huh? I must be recovering from that unpleasant injury.

But, I will take the pain! First off, it's nothing compared to what my patient honorees have endured this year, and secondly, I read a great quote the other day: "If you ran without sacrifice, congratulations, YOU JUST JOGGED!" There is a difference between jogging and running. (I WANT to be a runner!)

Next Saturday I will run 10 miles, the next Saturday I will run for 60 minutes (around 6.25 miles) and the following Sunday, August 10 (which just so happens to be my Dad's 72nd birthday--he is one of my patient honorees!), I will run in the Chicago Distance Classic. This is a half marathon--13.1 miles. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Luck!

And cut your toenails first.

Jeff said...

As a stockholder, I'd like to request more frequent marathon preparation updates. Please use the Olympics as inspiration.